Non-Australians getting married in Australia

If you are from overseas and want to marry in Australia, as a registered civil marriage celebrant, I will be more than happy to assist you. In addition to adhering to the legal requirements found by clicking here you may also need to consider the following:

Do you need to be an Australian Citizen to marry in Australia?

No. Anyone may marry in Australia providing you are both over the age of 18 and not already legally married.

Do you need to be in Australia or have lived in Australia for any given time before you can marry?

No. If you wanted to you could marry the day that you arrive from overseas, although you must have already lodged your Notice of Intended Marriage form at least 1 month and 1 day before the wedding (see below).

Will the marriage be recognised in your own country?

You will need to confirm this with your own government authorities which records marriages in your country.

Can you marry anywhere in Australia?

Yes. You are allowed to marry on most beaches and parklands. You will need some like me who is an authorised wedding celebrant or civil marriage celebrant to perform a wedding ceremony outside of a church or synagogue.

Can you re-marry in Australia after being married in another country?

No. The marriage is not legal if you are already married. I am more than happy to hold a renewal of vows ceremony or a commitment ceremony and present you with a beautiful certificate to remember the day.

Are same sex marriages legal in Australia?

Same sex, or gay and lesbian, marriages are not currently recognised by Australian authorities.  I am more than happy to conduct a wonderful love commitment ceremony to celebrate the lifelong dedication you have made.

How many witnesses do you need?

You need two witnesses present at your Marriage Ceremony who are over the age of 18 and any person, except the wedding celebrant performing your ceremony, can act as a witness.

Can you use legal paperwork that is in another language?

No. Legal documents and paperwork must be submitted in English by a recognised/registered translator such as NAATI.

Procedures for Overseas Couples

Working with overseas couples who want to be married by an authorised civil wedding celebrant in Australian is easy.  If you are in or able to make a visit to Australia prior to your wedding I am happy to meet with you to go through the requirements. As per the section on legal requirements the primary paperwork that must be completed are:

  • A ‘Notice of Intended Marriage’ (NOIM – form 13)
  • Identification documentation must be viewed (passports, if not born in Australia, or an authorised translation of your birth certificate if it is not in English)
  • If previously married a divorce decree or certificate of death, in the case of a deceased spouse, will need to be viewed.

A NOIM form must be completed and lodged with me at least one month and one day prior to the wedding. Once lodged with me the certificate is valid for a maximum period of 18months. If you are not in Australia it can be signed in front of an authorised representative outside Australia which could be one of the following:

  • An Australian Diplomatic Officer 
  • An Australian Consular Officer
  • A Notary Public – A person in any country publicly authorised to attest contracts and perform other formalities. Someone authorised to witness legal documents. This is the easiest of the options.
  • An employee of the Commonwealth authorised under para 3(c)  of the Consular Fees Act 1955 
  • An Employee of the Australian Trade Commission authorised under para 3 (d) of the Consular Fees Act 1955

Once signed, you can then fax me a copy and send the original by registered mail.

If one of you is already in Australia, that person can sign as long as the other signs before the ceremony.

For those of you who would like to apply for entry into Australia under the prospective marriage visa category please visit the following website for the information on the application process.

Of course, if you book my services as your registered marriage celebrant I will be more than happy to assist you with any letters or additional information you may need for your application.